Mr. Rients Abma (1971) has been the Executive Director of Eumedion since the 1st of January 2006. Eumedion is the Dutch Corporate Governance and Sustainability Platform for Institutional Investors. Between 2000 and 2005, Abma worked at the Ministry of Finance as a senior policy advisor in the corporate governance area. In 2003 he was the secretary of the “Tabaksblat” Committee (the Dutch Corporate Governance Committee) and between 2004 and August 1, 2005 secretary of de Monitoring Committee Corporate Governance Code (Frijns Committee). Between February 1996 and February 2000 he worked as the secretary of Economic Affairs at the employers’ federation VNO-NCW.
Rients Abma is also a member of:
- the Netherlands Authority for the Financial Markets (AFM) Capital Markets Committee
- the AFM Advisory Panel of Representative Organisations
- the Stakeholders Forum of The Royal Netherlands Institute of Chartered Accountants (as Chair)
- the Advisory Group to the Investor and Other Stakeholders Working Group of the International Forum of Independent Audit Regulators (IFIAR)
- the Ministry of Justice and Security’s Expert Group on Modernising Dutch Company Law
- the Advisory Board of the Institute of Internal Auditors in the Netherlands
Between July 2007 and September 2011, Abma was Board member of the International Corporate Governance Network (ICGN). Rients Abma earned his Masters degree in General Economics, with concentrations in Monetary Economics, from the University of Groningen.