ICGN Japan Governance Priorities
About the event
Join ICGN at the offices of JPX/TSE in Tokyo for the launch of two important publications; the ICGN Japan Governance Priorities Update Report, and the ICGN-GISD Alliance Model Mandate in Japanese. Listen to industry leaders discuss whether the introduction of the JPX Prime Market and the updated Japan Corporate Governance Code are having a positive impact on sustainable corporate value, and hear global asset owners and managers consider what is sustainable development investing and how sustainability objectives are being incorporated in investment policies, portfolio design and fee structures.
This event is currently at maximum capacity. ICGN will record this meeting and make available to our network at a later date.
Time: 09:00 - 11:00 JST
Format: In-person event & a recording will be available at a later date
4 October 2022 - ICGN Japan Governance Priorities08:45 - 09:00Arrival09:00 - 09:1009:10 - 10:00Launch of ICGN Japan Governance Priorities Update Report
In 2019, ICGN published a Statement of Japan Governance Priorities including recommendations around the securities report, capital efficiency, executive pay and board quality. This year, ICGN will publish a Japan Governance Priorities Update Report to provide global investor opinion on progress and clarify areas for improvement. We will discuss whether reform efforts, such as the introduction of the JPX Prime Market and recently updated Japan Corporate Governance Code, are having a positive impact on sustainable corporate value and how to overcome impediments to constructive shareholder and company engagement.
10:05 - 10:55Launch of ICGN-GISD Alliance Model Mandate
- Seiji Kawazoe, Senior Stewardship Officer, Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Asset Management, Japan
- Hiroshi Oeda, Independent Director, Chairman of the Board & Member of the Nomination Committee, Ebara Corporation
- Tomohiro Ikawa, Head of Engagement, Fidelity International, Japan
- Jocelyn Brown, Head of Governance, EMEA/APAC, T. Rowe Price
The Model Mandate was first published by ICGN in 2012 and has been updated in partnership with the UN supported Global Investors for Sustainable Development Alliance. The Mandate offers guidance on how to incorporate the UN Sustainable Development Goals into investor stewardship activities. It provides asset owners with example contractual terms to consider when agreeing mandates with asset managers in their efforts to preserve and enhance long-term value. Our panel of global asset owners and managers will consider what is sustainable development investing? What should be considered before negotiating contracts? How are sustainability objectives incorporated in investment policies, portfolio design and fee structures. What are the challenges and opportunities for successful implementation?
10:55 - 11:00Concluding Remarks
- Claudia Kruse, Managing Director Responsible Investment & Governance, APG Asset Management, The Netherlands
- David Atkin, CEO, PRI, UK
- Michael Herskovich, Global Head of Stewardship, BNP Paribas Asset Management, France
- Ian Burger, Chair of Board, ICGN, UK
- Moderated by Emi Onozuka, Chief Executive Officer, Eminent Group Ltd Japan